Friday, June 01, 2012

Spicing up life!

I am super excited about this post.  As most of you
know I love cooking.  As much as I love cooking, I 
hate how spices are usually stored.  Back before Christmas
I went and purchased some jars at Hobby Lobby.  
I used my much loved label maker and lovingly made
a bunch of labels for my spices and I thought I would
love the uniformity.  Well, I did like the uniformity but hated
finding anything in the cabinet.  I had to move everything to 
find things and then when I did find it it never went 
back where I found it so things were always lost. 
I thought I would have to just deal with it.... until now!

Pinterest saves again!  I found this super easy (well
mostly easy), cheap idea that is working fantastic!
Start with your regular old baby food jar.
It works really well with stage 3 baby food jars.  1 
stage 3 jar fits a regular 4 oz jar of whatever 
spice you have.
   This next step is the
most annoying part of the process. You have to get
the labels off.  I soaked mine in boiling water.  Then 
scrubbed with a brush, then scrubbed with a pot sponge,
then scrubbed with a sos pad.  The SOS pad worked
the best but it was still a pain!  If anyone has a good 
solution for getting the gooby residue off of jars, I 
hope you will share!  :)
 Next, I spray painted the lids.  I primed them first and 
then painted.  I got the paint on sale at Hobby Lobby
for $4.50.  
 Here is the genius part.  I wrote on the lids with 
the spice's name in a sharpie and then...


put them in a drawer.  
 
Doesn't that look amazing?  All of them uniform and easy
to find.  I LOVE IT!  Now if Hannah can just 
eat more stage 3 food, I will have all the same size :)
(PS- This would not have happened without the help
of my hard working mother who scraped the residue 
off of each jar.  Thanks Mom!)



No comments: