Thursday, May 10, 2012

Batteries

Ryan is recovering from  surgeries he had last week.  It has been pretty rough in our house!  He had a stent put in his tear ducts to open them up.  He also had a bunch of dental work and then the worst of it was his tonsils and adenoids being removed.  He has been doing ok.  I am not sure that he even knows what hit him!  From staying over in the hospital to not being able to eat or drink it has been a challenge.  I have learned from this challenge just like other challenges in my life that God has a pretty good grasp on what I need to learn :)  and through this He is teaching me to find the joy in the hardship.  One of glimpses of joy we experienced was while Ryan has been recovering.

Ryan has always had a hard time with imaginary or pretend play.  He takes things pretty literal (I wonder where he got that?  :)  But while playing Greg and Nana, Greg noticed that he hadn't been laughing very much (due to his throat being a little sore I am sure).  Greg mentioned this to Ryan and Ryan says very matter of fact "Dad, I don't have batteries, I can't laugh!"  Greg clarified, "You can't laugh because you have no batteries?"  We wanted to make sure we got this straight and very clearly Ryan states again, "Nope, I can't, I need batteries."  That is just too funny coming from a kid who has struggled with imaginary play and is recovering from surgery.  I love it!

No comments: